Sunday 23 February 2020

Everyday TR1 - overhauling petcocks

The first rule of buying used parts is don't buy used parts unless you have to. The second rule of buying used parts is: follow rule #1.

Now if you buy two similar petcocks and one is notably easier to move than the other, this might be the moment, where you should consider either sending one back or buying an overhaul-kit as well. I initially did neither of those two things.

As you  can see, the diaphragm has swollen and was extending over the outlet a bit...


The fixed petcock - the standard kit comes will the hardware (even though I didn't use the petcock-to-tank ones) and it's a matter of ten minutes per piece.


If I had done it right away though, it would have saved me from having to repaint my fuel tank (again).


As we're already onto the subject of vanity, I also bought a set of shiny new mirrors. Not exactly because they are shiny, but because I wanted squarish ones again and in my old round ones, I couldn't see much, because of the vibrations.


Expect stories of me spraypainting the fuel tank rather soon, as I need the old girl back in service in a rather timely fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment