Friday 26 October 2018

Dre-XT-Stück - making her fit like a glove (part 5)

Now that the old girl runs like she's supposed to and in my humble opinion starts to sport the looks to back that up, there were a few more nuisances that I wanted to tackle.

Step 1: Bar-risers. Even though I bought the highest (and widest) bars I could get, they were a bit lower than I wanted them to be. This is a generic set of 25mm riser blocks and *boom* all of a sudden it feels like my arms go straight forward from my elbows and not down.




Step 2: Decrease the leakyness of the exhaust. As can be seen by the black spot on the frame, this isn't exactly a vanity mod. Lots of bashing out the pipe to get it straight again plus some exhaust-adaptors and nope, I'll have to re-visit that one again and make a joiner out of stainless or aluminium.




Step 3: If your bike's airbox looks like this, a changed might be due. Especially if you have visions of riding the old girl somewhere, where it might be sandy...



Mind you, in order to get the airbox in and out, you have to undo the shock and lower the swingarm, so you get *JUST* enough clearance to squeeze it in and out. Oh and do you want to hear something funny? The new airbox isn't the same as the old one, as the breaker had sold me the incorrect model, so I'll end up going back to the original one as the sidepanels won't fit over it.


Step 4: The old girl had some nastily bent footpegs, which mean that my right foot was sitting about 20mm further back than my left, which doesn't sound like a lot but becomes a HUGE thing, when you're riding the bike for an extended period of time as you tend to sit in a weird and unnatural position.


After having slept over the airbox-issue, I will give lowering the box a shot, but if that doesn't work, I'll most like re-install the old airbox and then take it from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment