Tuesday 21 April 2020

The XS Triple Sidecar - gets some second hand GSXR 750 flatslides (addendum)

I had a quick hour in the workshop this morning and turned the idle adjuster down a bit, so that the spring wouldn't bottom out as that allowed me to get the old girl to idle and then sync the carbs.


With the spring base back another three or four milimetres, I can now screw the adjuster in far enough to set the idle properly. 


Only #1 carb was really a wee bit out of sync, #3 was more or less good from the get go. 


And thanks to all of that the old girl now has got a very grumpy idle...


Time for a testride, I'd say - but to make starting a bit easier, maybe first prepare the choke-rod and grind some dimples in it, so it would lock in place.


Secretly, this is my favourite shot of the whole build - safety-wired the fuel lines to the bodies as they were leaking ever so slightly. 


As the throttle housing is from a DR600 and would normally be flipped the other way round, I had to tap the hole in M5 and bolt it up. It makes a perfect point for oiling the cables though, so I guess I won't weld it up.


First testride went very reasonable. Lots of low-down torque, after adjusting the mix-screws a bit leaner there was perfect pickup from very low revs, but after a few kilometres #3 cylinder didn't want to fire anymore. Turns out the needle-jet is only a slide fit and not a press-fit anymore in its bore and I didn't notice screwing the mainjet into thin air, when I (hastily) assembled the carbs for a first testride.


So what's the verdict: Lots of grunt, which is exactly what I was after. I have to play around and maybe order some more mainjets as the full-throttle performance leaves some room for improvement. Brakes and suspension are working fine after the cleanup and overhaul, but the number of oil-leaks is starting to become a real issue. Guess I'll get by another season, but I really should have a look at the other engine-block I have and start tackling that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment