Friday 19 June 2020

XV Ignition Intermission - Plastic box ignition on TR1 (pt. 5)

This week there finally was some time to try to wire up a very late J4T00871 to my TR1. The somewhat anti-climactic result: works flawlessly and just like before with the stock metal box ignition.

In order to get the cable lengths right, I used a broken ignition box as a template


6-pin connector on the ignition box - as I didn't have all the right cable colours, yellow is my substitute for orange (rear cylinder).


The very left yellow cable on the loom-side is just t-ed from the other yellow and is how I drive my tachometer directly.




On the 4-pin plug the black wire should be brown.


And with this shot, you should be able to copy it, if you want.


They say the proof is in the pudding... well the old girl runs, but I haven't had time to have a testrun with the Gen2-box.


And then I tried out the original J4T00871 that "transaxle" sent me and yep, there's something amiss on the side of the rear cylinder.


So what's the point, as some know, by now my new Ignitech is already in the mail? Well, I wanted to see if it can be done and I will definitely do a testride to find out how well the old girl will go with this box.

6 comments:

  1. Wotcha Greg, been catching up with your posts, just great reading mate, please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your loveless-ness, great to hear from you again! And yup, no worries plenty more where that came from ;-)

      I do hope you still like stinkwheels, cause there's something coming up soon...

      Delete
    2. Cheers Greg! Oh yes, two-stroke project coming up from your good self, can’t wait!

      Delete
  2. This is a different subject entirely but I want to ask someone that's committed to motorcycles, my left leg has nerve damage from a back surgery, have to wear a foot brace because I can't raise my foot/toes up so it makes it difficult to change gears (upshift). I can push down (downshift) alright. I have silver soldered a heel shift onto the shift lever but it's real awkward, there's little strength in my left leg and most of it is permanently numb. It's difficult to hold my left knee against the fuel tank. Have you ever run across a selenoid shift setup before? This has had to happen to others as well, I think that if a selenoid would upshift I can downshift ok without having to reposition my foot and things would be very manageable. Any pictures would be great and specs for parts and sources would help, I have a 92 and 83 Virago 750. Have been riding for almost 50 years, not ready to quit anytime soon. Thanks...Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bill, sorry for the late response. You could look into the various quickshifter setup, which basically do just that. Not sure if there are any electro-magnetic ones. But a few years back I worked on some Formula 2000 race cars and they had a small (as in tiny) compressor and a 2-way air-shifter installed to implement paddle-shifting directly on the steering wheel. Look for shops like APE-Raceparts and others that specialize in dragracing applications and you should get an idea of the parts I am thinking about. Cheers, Greg

      Delete
  3. I'll look into this, they have been shifting like this for years, thanks for the reply......Bill

    ReplyDelete