Thursday 7 July 2022

Turbo TR1 - more cowbell!

Let's kick it off with another mod to the Everyday TR1 (aka Tractor) - I found out that either the old Turbo had a longer footbrake lever than stock TR1 or what is more likely as the original Everyday TR1 had been crashed before I bought it, had a shorter one. We're only talking maybe 15-20mm, but as always with levers and mechanics, every bit helps.

But back to the star of the show - the Turbo. One thing I didn't check after awaking the old girl so rudely, was whether the alternator would actually charge the battery. 

As a matter of fact it does, but only on two of three windings. (Which answers the question, where the good stator in the Tractor came from...) In other words, as long as the lights are not turned on it will have *just* enough juice to charge the battery. Good enough for what I have in mind, if I am honest. Also with most of the lighting converted to LED it was good enough on the Tractor for several years.

On the other hand, I realised that without a fuel pump the float chamber on my BS40ies is a bit on the small side. So even though it performed rather nicely, on a longer pull the float chamber would run dry.

Grab a bit of stainless exhaust tubing and some engine silicone...

... and bring out the big boy. (Mikuni VM44)

It doesn't look too big in the picture, right? You may want to see it in proportion to the turbo (or the cylinders):


And what can I say, if you don't run the float bowl dry, a lot more interesting things happen when playing around with forced induction. I will soon take up the project again and see what can be done, so far I've reached the point where boost is easily going into the 5PSI region and you can start to feel how it actually gets quicker the more boost is applied, so...

No comments:

Post a Comment