Sunday 28 May 2023

Comrade Car - towbars for mechanized mules (part 10)

When it comes to towbars and cars, I am a man of very clean and outspoken opinions: If your car doesn't have one, why haven't you fitted one yet? I am willing to make some exceptions for exotic and spicy sportcars and the like, but if you drive around in something that is best described as the missing link between car and tractor, I won't let "nope" count for an answer.

So after brushing off old paint and cutting off the rear support that goes nowhere on a 1600, copious amounts of primer were slathered onto it. 


Followed by an equally careful and lovingly applied layer of "all the black".

Only to realize that I got ahead of myself and should really have closed up that tube with a proper bit of plate. Not for structural reasons, but for rust proofing. 

Followed by the kind of welding that will give you a suntan even behind a mask.

"The bigger the gob, the better the job" or as someone else said: Don't use dead cats for painting parts.

I'd much rather call this one ready for installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment