Friday 31 May 2019

Rotabs make the mill go round...

... or how to fit a 190mm chuck on a 150mm (6") rotary table. In reality it is quite easy: make a backplate, fit it on the table. Done.

It's the details that make jobs like this tricky. Originally I attempted to make the backplate entirely on the mill, but the surface finish was rather dissatisfactory.

So first step was to get both sides parallel with each other and correct a spot, where the mill had eaten into the step.


The top side needed a bit of attention too, the M6 bolts are plenty to hold the adaptor to the rotary table. 



Should you happen to know the brand (most likely Soviet-era Ukranian made) or where to get a set of internal jaws for it, please let me know.


The countersunk allen bolts needed a bit of touch up to clear the locking handles in the vertical and a reduction of diameter to reduce the size hole needed to be countersunk.



Vertical runout after all this jazz: 0.02mm between highest and lowest spot. 



I admit, it's quite a bit higher than I had hoped, but to be fair it is massive and it will be perfect for what I have in mind for it. That being said, it might be replaced with two smaller 125 (5") chucks that I have left over from my old Myford. So if you're in the market for a ready made solution for a 6" rotary table...

No comments:

Post a Comment