Friday 7 June 2019

Fixin' the TIG

... and while I am at it also make some overdue modifications.

The thing that had to be fixed was the gas-solenoid. Unfortunately this seems to be a rather common issues with these TIGs and mine was no exception. So the stock solenoid tended to not shut the gas off unless it was gently bumped.


As I know, not everybody takes apart a new welder, here are two shots, showing off the internals. And all joking aside, Chinese electronics manufacturing has come a long way in the last years. The PCBs are nicely laid out, the traces are soldered up where needed and silastic/hot glue prevent stuff from dangling around and all the boards are conformally coated nice and even. 


... and they didn't skimp on the copper heat sink. 


After soldering the wires back together to fit the new solenoid, I hot-glued it to the fan-housing as the original fitment with zip-ties might have broken the cables in the long run.


One thing, where my old welder terribly spoiled me was the quick-release on for my TIG-torch'es gas-line. This will allow to start using my flex-torch setup again and keep the stock one set up for the heavy stuff (and aluminium). 


My local pneumatics-shop had all the fittings for the conversion on hand and it was a whopping 24 Euros, so not exactly breaking the bank on that one. 



I still need a different plug for my other torch-setup as the older welder had the small bung and this one runs the big-one, but that should be rather easy to sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment