Sunday 15 November 2020

The XV sidecar - a new project (pt.1)

It's not like I am not pretty happy with my XS Triple, but for a while I have felt like I was missing  something. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I very recently had a go on Andy's Ural. 

Torque. Low down grunt. The absolutely relaxing feeling of knowing that whatever you do, there will always be a bit of torque round the corner to get you out of trouble.  

So I bought this.

 

What you're looking at are most of the parts, I'll need to build myself an XV750-based sidecar. To be precise that's what I'll need from a XV750 at least. It will the biggest bitsa I've ever built. Ever.

The plan:

XV750 frame, XS850 forks, wheels and brakes, engine will be of the bumblebee type (1063cc heavy crank with BT or XVS cylinders and XV700 heads), VM38 carbs and a 2in1in2 exhaust just like on ol' Tractor. Tank, rear subframe/seat will be off a TR1 and same goes for the headlight and clocks - so in essence the old girl will look like a TR1 but with shaft drive and straight-spoke wheels. The sidecar will be (once more) a classic Dnepr and if my sources are right, I once more might have a lead on an Ukrainian ex-military K750 sidecar. This time, there will be none of this sidecar-brake madness as I want to keep the whole setup as simple as possible. Which, incidentally brings me to the last (and most challenging) point: The subframe. I have pretty much worked it out in principle how I will build a front downtube that will go from the top engine mount to the center-stand mount and include the eyelet on the front of the engine. The rear mounting points are still open, as I am not entirely sure, where the rear lower and upper mounts want to go, but I am pretty confident that once I have the bike parked next to the sidecar this will sort itself out, i.e. become apparent where and how the subframe is supposed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment