Monday 8 February 2021

The XV sidecar - making the rear sidecar frame mount submit to my will (part 6)

In order to know how to proceed with the rest of the build, especially to find out where the rear sidecar mounting point would go, I had to permanently affix the front mount to the engine. To be fair it only needed another spacer, so I have something to connect my downtubes to. 

50mm long, 10mm hole in the middle, it's not quite the sort of stuff one would need a drawing for.

Soviet engineering from the 1980ies basically only knows two states - making "brackets" from 4mm (or thicker) bandsteel and essentially hotgluing on bits with a welder. This was the later. The mandatory "that's not going anywhere" was muttered and all should be good. 

Would you look at that, just as I suspected, the rear attachment point kisses the silencer. 

I'll J-U-S-T ... Q-U-I-C-K-L-Y adjust it. 

Elongated the slot in the frame, heated it with an oxy-set and used a 2m extension on a 1.5m breaker bar and jammed a screwdriver into the cut in the tube to splay it out.

Then I quickly fitted a longer rear-shock and took the footpeg-plate off to get an idea, whether the bolts hidden underneath would lend themself as mounting points for the subframe connector plate(s). 

Last picture shows: it was rusted in solid 10cm into the tube.

The "quick" adjustment took the better part of 2 hours (and as can be seen in the picture), it got dark and that was it for the day. Not entirely sure whether the next step will be to get started on the exhaust or continue with the subframe as both want to inhabit the same space underneath the bike, but as I can lower the subframe, but the exhaust is pretty much a given, I guess this anwered the question already.

2 comments:

  1. Go and check out turbodog's sidecar thread on VTF, he basically ran the exhaust through the subframe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone through his thread and with the knowledge of today afternoon I can tell you: It'll work out. Tight, but it'll work.

      Delete