Sunday 21 February 2021

New motor (again) for the old Rhino- / Coronet-Lathe

 ... now with even less RPMs. I guess I should this one from the start and not somewhere in the middle - Last Summer I replaced my lathe's motor (found here), with a 2.2hp/2800rpm unit, as I hoped that with higher RPMs and more importantly more oomph (2.2kW instead of 0.75kW) I would be able to finally get the sort of finish out of the machine, that I knew it was capable of. What I did achieve was to heat up the roller bearings, but not much else. As I have little intentions to ruin the old girl, I recently bought a decent 1.5kW/1400rpm motor. 

First things first, the motor had to be set up to run in CCW - and I was pleasantly surprised to see two VERY proper capacitors.


Thanks to a label in the motor cover wiring it up was a 15-minute job.

The pulley came off with (relative) ease and went on onto the new motor in the same fashion.

And now it's a proper self-contained unit.

The thing that actually fought me the better of at least two hours, was to redrill/slot the mounting holes and even more so re-install the motor-tray, without removing the main spindle from the lathe. (I now have a lovely reminder on just how sharp those gears are on one of my hands!)

With (oversized) slots the motor now fits nicely and can be tweaked so the belt runs straight and true.

 Also the new motor sounds a lot less rattly, compared to the old one. 


What's the verdict: If I had mounted the old 2800rpm motor the same way as this one, the results would definitely have been nicer. It would not have solved too-high-rpm issue though. A tad under 1100rpm should still work nicely for most tasks though. By the way the old motor will be turned into the drive for a new massive belt-sander, that I have had in my mind for a looooong time.

No comments:

Post a Comment