Thursday 29 November 2018

More work on the lathe - servicing the chuck

At some point in its life, the old Rhino lathe must have had some first hand experience with waterboarding. Either that or it's been parked in a leaky shed, as that's the only way to explain some of the water damage.

Some distinct features showed that somebody must have really liked the lathe, like the fact that all the bolts holding the lathe chuck onto the backplate at some point have been oiled prior installation. Additionally it has to be noted that we're talking about a 200mm (8") chuck and this thing is HEAVY.

First step was to mark chuck and backplate to be able to put it back together the way it was, because the runout was really good.

While spinning over the mainshaft, looking for old marks on the chuck and backplate, I found two small cuts in one of the pulleys to align them when disengaging backgear. A bit of white paint should make them considerably easier to find in the future. 

The hardest part really was to carry the chuck over to my workbench.

The chuck splits into a front and back section and even though everything was rust-free inside the grease had gone completely hard, which caused the chuck to be rather sticky. 

A generous amount of molybdenum grease on the ring gear and the running surfaces made the chuck feel a lot nicer to use.

I admit this last step was "pure vanity", but I then took about two hours to clean off the rust from the chuck. Not sure if it paid off, but it certainly looks nicer than what I started out with.

And here comes a little pledge, as unlikely as it sounds, I am missing one of the external jaws and maybe somebody has got a set kicking about that he or she doesn't need, in the dimensions as shown in the pictures below. This would be really awesome!

I might also be interested in a complete 200mm Emco chuck if it comes with the correct external jaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment