Friday 12 April 2019

The Turbo TR1 - turbo oilfeed and new starter (part 5)

Three months since I last worked on the old girl. Well about time to tackle some of the issues.


The turbo definitely needed a better oil-supply than in the past, so this time I am tapping straight into the oilfilter-housing to get oil straight when it leaves the crank. The downside is that it's not filtered. Ultimately I will fit a separate filter in the line leading up to the turbo, but at this point this really is just an experiment really. (I know I can get sufficient pressure at this point, as that's where I normally run an oil-pressure switch!)


Using a little jig to start the hole square to the surface, it's all a matter of using a M10x1.00 (standard on metric hydraulic lines) tap and thread the hole. Brembo brakes use M10x1.00 banjo bolts, so they are easy to get, even though I bought mine at an hydraulics supply shop.



And that's the oil-supply sorted.


Then it was a matter of swapping the starter motor because the original Mitsuba I had on there had happily chewed up its carbon brushes.


With the battery installed the bike slowly came back to life.


As it had sat so long, I drained the oil and rinsed the engine with some diesel I had around.


All the old dirt had settled "nicely" at the bottom of the engine and came out with a good wash... Yes, that was fresh diesel. With a bit of fresh oil and a fully charged battery the bike gave its first signs of life in about 18 months...


Next step is to swap the inlet rubbers for the modified ones and space them out correctly for the manifold and then basically give here a good cranking until there's some oil at the turbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment