Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Everyday TR1 - overhauling the killswitch and fixing the rear light

Most of the time this year, the Everyday TR1 has done just that: Run every day, start fine, run fine and generally be an awesome bike. Except for when it intermittently cut out.

Luckily this isn't an entirely new problem (thanks XS650 v*br*t*r-on-wheels-guys) and can be cured with relative ease, by drilling out the plastic with a 1/4" (6.5mm is fine too) drill and then adding some metal spacers. When new the plastic was relatively elastic and made sure that the screws holding the terminals onto the killswitch wouldn't come loose. 35 years later - not so much.

The process is pretty straightforward and whilst I was in there I used the oportunity and lubed the throttle cable.

The other thing I finally got round to doing was to trim back the rear-light holder, so the baseplate was finally smaller than the actual rear light. Doesn't look all that different on the photos, but makes quite a difference in real life. The other thing was to add a proper ground-cable as the flickering was said to be pretty annoying, if you rode behind me.

That's it for today. In the next installment there'll be quite a few news on the XS-Triple Sidecar subframe and finally a testride to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment