Friday 16 August 2019

Everyday TR1 - Moving the Ignition box under the seat

This is one of those mods, which I must have thought of for several years. It came up again, when I swapped plugs after a rideout to the Austrian MotoGP races and felt just how hot everything under the tank got from all the heat radiating off the engine. I admit, it was a rather hot day and I had just done about 50km on the Autobahn at proper speeds, but still you could barely touch metal surfaces and having experienced a complete failure of one the ignition boxes a few years back, I decided that this couldn't be good at all.


As such the plan was very simple. Move the ignition box to the back in the (mostly) unused tray under the seat. 


This meant that one of the cables was too short and once my spare ignition box sat there it became rather obvious that there wasn't half as much space as I initially thought. Actually I added about 20cm to the cable going into the loom and I am pretty sure if you tell the guys at Ignitech you wanted a special sub-loom, they would probably do that for you at the blink of an eye. (As long as they knew the  exact lengths, which you will find rather soon on this blog!)
 

Except for notching the tray a bit to be able to route the cable a bit better not too much needed to be done


So how does it perform? Rather unspectacular. It's an ignition box and it sits in a cool place and is not rattling around, so I suppose it is rather happy.

(Please come back in a few days and you will find the "corrected" cable lengths here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment