Sunday 1 September 2019

Everyday TR1 - clutch disaster and other fixes

Lately with the carbs getting closer to being set up properly an all too well known beast reared its ugly head again: clutch slip. Now I admit, I had recycled some older clutch disks from my stash as they still looked (and felt) good, but hey this engine makes a quite substantial bit of extra torque over a stocker. So I ordered fresh clutch disks and soaked them in oil to give them a fighting chance and decided to take it from there.

Well, the old clutch disks had been burned up due to slipping, but the with only five of six springs being in service...


The only explanation I have for the post shearing off like it did aside from previous damage is that I was too aggressive, when milling it down and that the vibrations caused some sort of fractures.  (Initially I also thought that maybe because I was using the stock bolts had blown the post to bits, but after closer examination of the broken bits there was still thread further down the hole, so this seems rather unlikely.)


Nevertheless, there's this engine sitting on my workbench and it kindly donated a modified clutch basket.


Because the bike was cold already anyway, I decided to re-check the valves once more as a friend of mine had recently suffered a broken adjuster and there was a bit of riding ahead of me. The valves were fine, but the plug to the alternator had (again) started to melt. Which made me bite the bullet (pun intentional) and convert to bullet-connectors and redo the section of the loom.



A bit of very thin wall rubber hose as both thermal and mechanical protection for the plugs. 


When buying the hose I finally thought about buying a proper stainless hose clamp for the engine breather, so it would stop the oily-muck from running down my engine and potentially making the bike fail next years MOT-equivalent.


Also with the space freed up under the tank I had to make a new bracket and use an R-clip to hold the throttle cable splitter in place.


Curious to see, whether the additional air-flow to the heads will result in lowered oil-temps or not, but currently it looks a lot like this could actually be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment