Sunday 19 September 2021

The (new) SR500 sidecar - kicking it off (part 1)

So it all started with some unforeseen issues with the XV-sidecar, including somewhat plummeting levels of motivation. In combination with a bit of thinking about, what I want in a sidecar, I wondered what to do next. The answer sort of presented itself in the form of my good friend Rollie wanting to get rid of the SR500, I sold him about 3 years ago. A well-priced Velorex 562-chassis came up only days after a deal was struck and because it was cheaper to buy a complete sidecar than just the sled from my favourite Hungarian Eastern-Block vehicle dealer that was quickly chucked into the back of my car.



The wheel's horrible and belongs to an IZH 350 - if you need it, give me a shout.

All in all the SR is still every bit as rough as it used to be and as there's no way overhere the powers that be would let me register it this way, a bit of cosmetics are due. (Which was roughly when I realised that the front fender is pretty rotten and has to be replaced as well.)





So what's the plan I hear you ask? Rather simple: Basically copy my old SR500 sidecar and build it the same way Walcher and (in his early years) Kassens did it that is without a subframe, but with a reinforced frame. As by the time of this writing I was able to procure a sidecar (drum) brake wheel I like (XS400 2A2), the sidecar will actually have a brake. 

Pretty much like this:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment