Wednesday 19 July 2023

Update & Outlook - a project overview

If the lack of posts on the blog indicates to you that I have stopped working on bikes and/or cars, I can assure you, quite the contrary is the case. As a matter of fact a metric sh*t ton of stuff is happening at the moment.


1) Comrade Car

Well Comrade car is very close to being ready for registration. The main show-stoppers are that the workshop that has to do the inspection is currently enjoying their Summer break and the exhaust has to be wrangled in place a bit better. Other than that, he still needs a basic alignment, some electrical work and a new hose from the radiator to the expansion vessel. Oh yes and I'd better bolt that front bumper down and a testride that is more than a couple hundred meters in one direction might be a mighty smart move, before tackling the enormous distance of around 5 or 6 kilometres to the garage that will do the inspection.




2) Everyday TR1

About a month ago, I had to attend a business meeting in Salzburg and due to the heat the old girl's TCI (ignition box) decided to call it a day and most of the time only ran on one cylinder, so I limped it back home from all the way from Salzburg a couple hours later. I am now running a copy of the later twin-pickup plastic ignition box. Unfortunately this now sports a very different ignition curve and means I should dial in my carbs as it's running way too rich and that makes starting a real pain. 

3) Dre-XT-Stück

Guess what, the old girl killed another engine. The cylinder I bored must have been a) a bit too tight (well it was planned to be on the tight side for longevity), b) it was a cheap piston, which expanded rather and unevenly and c) I found the reason, why the previous engine overheated and which certainly didn't help during the last iteration. Words escape me to describe the level of butchering that the previous owner commenced in order to "repack it". Perforated tube in multiple sizes has arrived already and a few other "bodges" will be remedied shortly.



As the engine has died and I only had some good luck with exactly one type of piston so far, I decided to go with a forged 96.50mm Wössner with a moderate increase in compression (10.8:1) and had it bored at a local shop, which not only asked all the right questions, but also wasn't upset (after hearing the pre-text) that I wanted to check all the measurements myself. 

4) Little Miss Rat-a-Tat (SR500 Sidecar)

Yup, I have a smaller pilot and a slightly bigger main jet kicking about, which should help with fuel consumption and hot starting. Other than that I should really modify that sprocket carrier to work XT600 style as I am running on the only good rear wheel I have at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment