Monday 24 December 2018

More carbwork - both on the TR1 and the XS-Triple

Theory is when everyone knows how it should work and it doesn’t, practice is when it works and no bugger knows why.

It's time to put some theories to the test. 

In my last post, I went on and on and mentally m*st*rb*t*d on how to jet carbs. Now this didn't all come out of thin air, but stemmed from some minor problems I have with my TR1 flatslides and some rather bigger problems on my XS-Triple sidecar. 

As I outlined, if you run a needle with the wrong (too shallow) taper, you will always encounter a rich or lean situation along the way. In the case of my TR1 it was most prominent the first 1/4 of throttle opening, which I countered by running a slightly bigger pilot jet (#20). This worked fine for obscuring the problem, but meant that when the engine was really hot, it would pop and cut out and also result in some detonation issues, when hot. 

I chose the 6FJ40 needle, because honestly, I knew I wanted it to be richer than the stock 6FJ41 and it was the only one of the needles that I could get some specs for. It might be a bit more than needed, but then again, this is also the needle that's fitted to the two-stroke version of the TM38-carb.


On the top you see the 6FJ41 needle, on the bottom 6FJ41. As the latter looks a lot more like the 6DP01, that I've run in my old VM38-9 roundslides, I think, I might be on the right track though.


The verdict of the jury is still out on this one, but I decreased the size of the pilot to #17.5 straight away and hope for the best. (And no salt on the road.)

The second part I've been playing around with lately were the flatslides on the sidecar. Mainly because I had some serious fuel-supply issues, which manifested in losing idle after a prolonged bit of full-throttle. Personally I think the following pictures don't need a lot of explanation. Except that I now run an incredibly complicated fuel hose setup as each of my new petcocks has got two outlets and I therefore run 4 lines and 4 filters. (It's only a matter of time until something starts leaking, but to be fair, I only have to get some T-pieces and revert to my old petcocks to remedy that.)



See these puny holes? No wonder I could put on my helmet and gloves, while priming the carbs... 


That's more like it.


I tried that out yesterday and guess what, THIS WORKS. Open the petcocks (on dry carbs), wait for a second and then fire 'er up and off you go. Next stop: solve the jetting issues, as she's a bit cold-blooded at the moment, but I think, I have just the needle for that... 

And in this sense: Happy Jewish Zombie carpenter birthday. Merry Christmas. Gud Jul. Frohe Weihnachten. Or whatever you're into on a day like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment