Sunday 1 September 2024

Everyday TR1 - risers and a broken clutch cable

You know how sometimes small changes can make a huge difference? Handlebars or in this case handlebar risers can make the difference between a sore shoulder or nah, let's do another de-tour. 


So I swapped my 25mm risers for 15mm ones.

So all was well and the old girl put to a lot of use (someone might have been without a working car at the time) and on my way to the workshop, minding my own things, all of a sudden the clutch lever pulled all the way to the handlebar.

I suspected the nipple on the lever or the actual cable being broken, but no: the lower nipple had broken apart. As a matter of fact you can even see the broken bit sitting at the bottom of the housing right next to the spring.

Now with the cable still being GOOD, this meant a bit of lathe activities in order to make a decent nipple from brass and solder it on.




To be fair the repaired cable has been relegated to spare-part duty, not because I don't trust it, but because it's the last of my "long" cables and I have multiple new ones, which all are the same (free) length, meaning, I don't have to adjust the clutch when swapping cables. So plenty of oil was due...

No comments:

Post a Comment