Thursday 17 February 2022

Bye, bye Rhino Lathe

 ... you will be missed. But, as much as I would have loved to, there simply isn't enough room for a big and a small(er) lathe. Even though I borrowed an engine hoist, in the end, we mostly did the lifting by hand and as much as I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, we managed to scrape by without any substantial injuries.


And yes, you can fit the lathe and the cabinet in just one family size station wagon. (I am not going to say, with no problems at all, but...)



So ends the story of the old girl. Now why swap a bigger lathe for a smaller one? Mostly because the Matra just has got a lot more ooomph to her and in general is just that useful bit more rigid. Yes, there will undoubtedly be moments, where I'll miss the bigger work envelope of this old girl, but for the most of the time, I do work that could be done on a much smaller machine than Martha II.

No comments:

Post a Comment