Saturday 26 February 2022

The XS Triple sidecar says bye bye - a comparison of sidecar concepts

 So the mighty XS Triple sidecar is sold. 

This gave me the chance to do something that I already did the last time, when two of my sidecars were parked side-by-side. As some will be quick to point out, I went (again) from one extreme to the other. From a very powerful (some might say overpowered) to a very light and small sidecar. The thing is, the size difference is rather hard to grasp, unless you see both bikes next to each other.



Even though the trackwidth only differs by 120mm, the weight difference (the XS Triple weighed in just shy of 400kg, whereas the SR500 with its fiberglass Velorex in under 200kg, both with a full tank, etc.)



The last ride was lovely though. Sunshine, not too cold and the mighty triple sang its song. Do I regret the sale? No not really, it turned out that it was just too much sidecar for me and my use cases. Too thirsty, too loud and only vaguely usable during the Winter months due to a lack of weight on the rear wheel and just too much power, yet not quite the kind of the torque that would be necessary to make good use of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment