Saturday 19 February 2022

Unholy unions - XV750 with 1290 SuperDuke running gear

When it comes to building bikes for myself, I am a bit of a traditionalist. Also, I am cheap and old and tatty bits are a lot cheaper than new and shiny stuff. That being said, my mate Andi, well he prefers to go down a different route.  And as a result, he got himself "da good" stuff. KTM/WP 1290 suspension all the way and asked me to make it fit. 

We started off with the rear shock, which was pretty straight forward and just needed a few bushings to reduce the internal diameters and to locate the shock properly in the bike. 








Front forks are dead easy, press out the stem out of a set of XV750SE triples, turn it to size and press it back in, into the SuperDuke triples. 


So what was in it for me you ask? Well there's this little 790/890 Duke shock, which looks like it could turn out be a VERY good replacement for the current XT600 1VJ rearshock I currently run in my TR1...


2 comments:

  1. Off the subject, would appreciate your input, what do you think about making/installing a sheet metal air deflector to force cool air to the #1 cylinder exhaust side, it has to be the hottest part of the engine. Minimal cost and work involved. Don't remember seeing this done before. I did mine, seems to run cooler judging from touch/feel. Your thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The physics guy in me says, that just has got to work... That being said, the stock sidepanels on a TR1 had air-scoops that directed air to exactly this area. I have to say I have yet to discover thermal issues on any of the cylinders, when the engine is very hot, e.g. during racing the front cylinders oil-temp appears to be more worrying than the rear. To be fair, the racing frame only sits on top of the cylinder heads and has got the section cut out, where the air-inlet is, which only had some very minimal effects on rigidity, but allowed huge gains in terms of airflow around the engine.

      Delete